You can drastically improve your hiking experience by preparing for your hike before you go hiking.
– Plan your hike. Figure out what you want to see before you try to figure out which trail you want to take, where to park or how much water you need to bring
– Check out the park rules and get a trail map before you start your hike
– Pack smart. Bring only what you need and leave the rest behind so you don’t end up dragging a 65 lb. backpack up 150 stairs
– Dress appropriately according to weather so you don’t get hypothermia in the winter or heat stroke in the summer
– Give yourself enough time to do more than just hike. Take pictures of your friends and family on top of Starved Rock and enjoy yourself while you’re here!