The Starved Rock State Park Visitors Center has several interactive displays, free videos on the park, hiking maps, and more. Trailheads Concessions & Gifts, also located here, is a great place to buy gifts, souvenirs, and snacks (fresh fudge, too)! The Visitor Center and Trailheads are open year-round.
Each year, millions of people visit Starved Rock… come & discover why!
Open Daily: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00pm Phone: 815-667-4726 or 815-667-4906 Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
This is what you’ll find in the Visitor Center:
* Three-dimensional topographic map of the park and surrounding area.
* 400-gallon aquarium that holds fish that are found in the Illinois River.
* Educational and interactive displays.
* 56-foot mural, which depicts scenes of Illinois Indians interacting with French missionaries and fur traders.
* Display of stone tools used by Native Americans, as well as the 10,000-year-old crown of a mammoth molar.
* Model of Fort St. Louis which was located on top of Starved Rock from 1682 until the early 1700s.
* Display of the Civilian Conservation Corps and a timeline outlining the development and growth of the park.
* Indian wigwam with lifelike figures is on display and you can look inside and see how Native People once lived.
* Legend of Starved Rock and Lover’s Leap.
* Native, mounted birds and mammals.
* Park Map
At the entrance to the center, you can see a slice of the trunk of one of the largest American Elm trees in the U.S. that grew at Starved Rock. Inside the center, the helpful staff will be on hand to assist you with any questions that you may have about hiking trails, the Visitor Center, or general information about the area.
In addition to the great exhibits and displays there is also a theater that plays three different movies, ranging in length from 9-15 minutes; one of the movies just recently won a national award. Guided hikes are available throughout the year. The Le Rocher Gift Shop and Bookstore offers books on local plants and animals, the history of Starved Rock and the surrounding areas, birdhouses, nature games, binoculars, and much more. You will always be greeted with a smile and we hope you enjoy your visit.
Monday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Due to flooding, currently closed Monday through Thursday)
Start your Starved Rock adventure out at Trailheads Snacks & Souvenirs. Located in the Visitor Center, Trailheads offers sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, pretzels and nachos, plus gifts and souvenirs. We have walking sticks, rain gear, water bottles and more! Browse our assortment of jewelry, souvenirs, clothing, books and keepsake items.Want a great souvenir at a great price? Don’t forget to make your own Starved Rock souvenir at the Penny-Smasher machine! For just 51 cents (2 quarters and one penny) you can be creative, have fun and take more than a memory of the Rock home with you! Trailheads Gifts and Concessions is located in the Starved Rock Visitor Center.